03 October 2015

Buying a Chess Set with Bitcoin

I ended my previous post, Buying Stuff with Bitcoin, with a specific idea for this current post.
How about using bitcoin to buy a chess set? I didn't notice any possibilities while I was researching this post, but I didn't put any effort into it either. I'll look at that for my next post.

The first results on a search for 'bitcoin chess set' turned up many of the same pages I found in 'Buying Stuff'. The first real chess set was Bitcoin Gifts | Traditional Mandarin Design Chess Set (bitcoinbazaar.co.uk), which is more of a decorative item than a set I would use to play.

How about a Staunton style set? Here the first few results were from HouseOfStaunton.com and Amazon.com with the note 'Missing: bitcoin', i.e. let's first show this guy Staunton sets, because that's probably what he really wants. After those were a couple of metal sets from Peerhub.com with the note 'Payment accepted: PayPal / Bitcoin'. That's more like what I had in mind, but I prefer a wood set. Here I found nothing.

How about 'bitcoin chess board'? Here I also found nothing in the first few pages of results, which were mainly articles on bitcoin using a chess metaphor. The first result suggested an image search, which gave me the idea to redo 'bitcoin chess set', this time on images. The result is shown below.

Four of the six items in the first line, including the first two on the left, were again from bitcoinbazaar.co.uk, so I took the hint. The site's About Us page says,

Here at BitcoinBazaar we have some of the coolest gifts that Bitcoin can buy.

We like the fact that Bitcoin provides the easy transfer of value on an unprecedented scale. [...]

We like the fact that the Bitcoin network is secure. [...]

We like that the use of Bitcoin offers users increased anonymity to that of the traditional banking sector – the network verifies the payment and not the identity. [...]

Our primary aim as a company is to help promote the use of Bitcoin around the world and help it to gain traction as an accepted currency. [...]

Got it, thanks. It's as much about the political statement as it is about the medium of payment. I'll keep that in mind for a future post, but first I want to finish my search for a chess set.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Rather than try to buy a specific item -- this isn't about Amazon or eBay, after all -- I should look at the types of goods and services where bitcoin is preferred. I'll pursue that in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment